Wednesday, November 23, 2005

MSN India - My victory dedicated to my father: Priya Dutt

My victory dedicated to my father: Priya Dutt
Source: IANS.

Mumbai, Nov 22: Victorious Congress candidate Priya Dutt Tuesday dedicated her victory to her late father Sunil Dutt, who represented Mumbai North-West in parliament till his death in May.

She also dedicated her victory to the hard work and support of her party workers and senior party leaders.

"I believe this is my father's victory. It is the result of his goodwill that he earned through 20 years' dedicated contribution to the people," Dutt told IANS. "I thank (Congress chief) madam Sonia Gandhi for showing faith in me and I thank all the party workers and senior leaders who supported me in this venture," Dutt said.

Dutt, 39, the younger sister of Bollywood star Sanjay Dutt, trounced her rival and Shiv Sena candidate Madhukar Sarpotdar by more than 171,000 votes in the elections held Saturday.

She expressed both surprise and satisfaction that she had garnered 346,294 votes against Sarpotdar's 174,750, despite the low 33 percent voter turnout in the 1.6 million-strong Mumbai North-West electorate. "It (the victory) has come as a super-bonus to be me. As my election slogan said, people have shown their faith in me this time. The next time I will have earned it," Dutt said.

Talking about her agenda as a Lok Sabha member, Dutt said she would now spend time studying her constituency well to understand its problems and finding solutions.

"I will look into the basic needs of the people like good roads, water problem, garbage disposal," she said. "Also, I will try to focus on larger issues like representing Mumbai in Delhi. It is already a global city but now it has to be established concretely with that image," she added.

Read the full article at : MSN India - My victory dedicated to my father: Priya Dutt

No comments: